- Arie Brentnall-Compton, LE, CBE firstname.lastname@example.org | 780.777.9525
- Krystal Hoople RN, BScN, IBCLC NaturalConnections@shaw.ca | 780.907.3481 naturalconnections.vpweb.ca
- Lee-Ann Grenier, LE, CBE, LLL Leader email@example.com | 780.571.4039 holisticbreastfeeding.ca
- Pam Davey BSc., IBCLC, CD(DONA) firstname.lastname@example.org | 780.554.8475 www.wix.com/birthing/sinceforever
- Jenni L Duke PP IBCLC, RN, BSc, LLL Leader (Red Deer and Central Alberta) email@example.com | 403.596.3853 www.asnewbornbabes.jimdo.com
- Shannon Bayer RN, IBCLC, RLC firstname.lastname@example.org | 403.618.5326
We want more lactation consultants who do house calls! We know that there may be many Lactation Consultants in hospital and clinical settings; however most mothers find it difficult to leave home when they have a newborn. They will delay accessing help because of it, which has an impact on her breastfeeding success. We encourage lactation consultants to go to homes and support new mothers within the first days of a baby’s birth.
There are a number of other professionals who can also support your breastfeeding journey without you needing to leave your home. Some Public Health Nurses are certified lactation consultants. You can call the Alberta Public Health line and ask for a nurse who has the IBCLC certification. They can then combine the postpartum home visit with breastfeeding support. Also many senior birth and postpartum doulas have taken breastfeeding courses and can provide a certain level of hands-on support and reassurance. Search for your local doula association website. It will have their names and contact info. La Leche League leaders (LLL) are enthusiastic women who have breastfed their children and are leaders in their community. They can be of great help. Give them a call.